God Save the Queen

Hello!

As most of you know I'm getting ready to move to England. With only two suitcases, just about $1500 and with no job prepared and no real acquaintances other than my long distance boyfriend, I'm rightfully nervous but excited.

I'll be living in Bournemouth, which is dubbed the "garden city by the sea". It's located along the English Channel coast, about a 2 hour train/bus ride southwest of London. I visited Bournemouth twice last year and fell in love with it. Not only does it have old English charm with its thatched-roofed Mary Poppins-like homes, grassy hills and countryside pebbled roads, but it also embodies a beach atmosphere with brightly striped umbrellas littered along the popular sandy ocean banks. (Oh! Did I mention the beaches are top-optional!?)

My new flat (I'm so excited to call it that!) is located on a main street, or what the English call a high street. I'll be sharing my new home with my boyfriend named Ashley and his two friends Aaron and Ollie, all of which are avid BMX riders. Needless to say, this is a dude hangout I will be infiltrating.

Since dating a Brit, I'm accustomed to some of the jargon and confusing rhyme slang used by the locals and all the English (I think?) for that matter.

For instance:

chin-waggin' = chatting
offie = an off-licensed shop (like a liquor/convenience store)
fiver or Lady Godiva or deep sea diver = a five pound bill
trousers = pants
pants or knickers= underwear
aubergine = eggplant
courgette = zucchini
chips = French fries
crisps = chips
bin men = garbage men
nackered or shattered = tired
hammerin' or pissin' it down = raining hard
pissed = drunk
mobile = cell phone
the tube = London's subway

*Not to mention there are words that are just pronounced differently, such as zebra, vitamin, aluminum and garage.

** I'll make sure to write down new words as I discover them.

Not only do I look forward to living in England, but during my six month stay I plan on several trips. Hopefully, if my finances will allow it, I will be visiting Venice, Munich, Prague, Amsterdam, Paris, and Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands. I am very excited about this trip and hope you'll join me on my Blog as I have the European experience of a lifetime!

♡ - Kristen
Bournemouth Coast

Ashley along the coast

Me and Mary Shelley's grave. She's the author of
Frankenstein. She's buried in Bournemouth

The BMX bikes in the living room (haha!)

Standing in front of wild horses in New Forest.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you FB friended me & now I'll get to see your travels! What a fun adventure you're about to embark on. Hope all is well and that you have a GREAT time exploring!

    <3
    jen

    ReplyDelete