Loving the Architecture



English architecture is FUNKY! Well, around here it is at least. When I used to think of homes in England I would either imagine little thatched-roofed cottages in some nice grassy countryside, or narrow, dark, tall, and grimy tightly squeezed brick homes of London. Here, seaside, it's a whole other ball game.

Recently, on my free time, I've been exploring my neighborhood by going for long jogs or walks up and down all the streets. The richer areas, usually more close to the ocean, have huge homes, mansions really. With cutely trimmed hedges glorifying the front walkway, or large ornate pineapple statues dressing up the sides. Many also include rod-ironed gates obstructing the path to their front doors.

The more residential areas have zig-zagging streets with cute little homes, some run down, all in snug proximity to each other. What these homes lack in size they make up for with character. I've noticed a trend of extravagant front doors and front entrances. Many use colorful patches of stained glass to embellish the entrance, while other homes have arched doorways or specially warped glass. Also, I've noticed that some residents have given there homes names. I think that's really sweet. "Cloudy Cottage", "Ireland's Eye" - so cute!

All the homes, big and small, seem to share the same awkward love of protruding bay windows, and breakfast nooks, but everywhere! I'm used to homes having maybe one bay window, but here it's common to see a home with four or five! It looks as if most homes have made addition after addition, which makes them seem jumbled together and odd. But since a majority of these homes seem to be very very old, it makes sense that additions have been made over the years, with bay windows being the favorite addition of them all.















>>> And this last pic is of my house! I live above some poetry store or something like that. The entrance is in the back.

♡ - Kristen

1 comment: