London Weekend Night One: Hostel




This past weekend a good friend of mine named Greg was in town so I booked a hostel for the night and came to the city to see him. It was my first time traveling alone in London without Ashley, so I was a bit nervous about taking the tube (the subway) around. Once I made it to my first destination, however, I found the tube exciting. I even had an Oyster card, which you put credit on then simply swipe and go on your way. It made me feel like a pro. haha The tube is much easier to get around since the roads in London have no apparent grid pattern.




The hostel I stayed at was called Palmer's Lodge, which I booked on hostelworld.com. It was a huge brick building with random doors and corridors, low beams darting from the walls, slanted ceilings, shady elevators, grand chandlers, fireplaces, and twisting narrow staircases. There was a bar in the basement, a beer garden in the back, a massive cafeteria and lounge.

My room, which I shared with about 20 other females, was located on the third floor and was crowded and long with rust colored carpet, tangerine tapestries and a small window. To get to my floor I had to walk through a community bathroom/shower area on the second floor, where oddly enough was the stairway to the third.

Once I met up with my friend at the hostel, in true Greg fashion, we proceeded to get immediately fucked up, make new friends and get crazy. After shots of tequila we mingled in the cellar bar with other hostel guests. Ironically enough we ended up befriending the seemingly only other Americans. Our new friends Mike and Matt from Florida and Alex from New York were leaving in the morning and were determined to stay up the entire night and finished their two extra-large bottles of Jameson. Between the five of us, we finished both bottles within 15 minutes!

We spent the night dancing at an 80s themed bar, which I think was called the Monarch? haha. The bar did not feel very English to me. I new all the songs. I drank the same drinks. And I was in the company of other Americans.

By the end of the night, Greg was M.I.A. off with some hot little Asian chick he met at the bar. Matt, Mike and I had to babysit Alex who had far too much to drink. We took a bus back to the hostel about 4 in the morning, but not without making a scene. Immediately after the bus driver told us we would have to clean the bus if our inebriated friend blew chunks, well, he did. I couldn't help but feel bad, not just because we had brought a friend to stink up the place and leave the helpless passengers with a mess and the stench, but also because we were THOSE obnoxious Americans. oh well

About 4:30AM I sulked back into the hostel and proceeded to be extremely hungover until check out at 11. Lets just say, I did NOT sleep.


















>>> Greg and his woman


>>> Alex from New York

1 comment: