Southampton: New & Old Wierdly Meet

Today, my roommates and I went for a little trip to Southampton. The guys wanted to take the 30 minute drive to a certain BMX bowl to have a ride about and so we piled into Oli's awesomely crummy old Volvo.


This battle axe of a car is so bad, it's good. He bought it for a cool £200 from a painter/decorator. The roofing, well, it's pretty nonexistent, the upholstery is badly worn and torn, the mirrors are held together with zip-ties, and the entire inside and outside is covered with paint splatters. LOVELY.

We roll into Southampton like ghetto kings, park the old beast and make our way into the city. Immediately, I notice the very ancient tower in the center of the populated market place. Behind the Slush It tent and across the street from Burger King is the historical monument The Bargate.



With two large carved lions as protection, this castle-like structure served as Southampton's main gate entrance circa 1180 AD. Although still intact, The Bargate's grandeur and significance is lost in history as its modern surroundings (like BURGER KING!) close in on it. Near The Bargate also lies the ruins of giant medieval walls, which used to guard the city.

Even though I know there are plenty of historical gems hidden in the growing cities of America, the mere age of these English fossils make them strike out at me that much more. As my roommates pass up these giant structures with familiarity, I can't help but be awestruck and then amused by how new & old come together so easily and regularly in England.

Even more intriguing, Southampton is where the famous RMS Titanic steamship set off on its maiden voyage and, as we all know, found only a watery grave. In my head, I can just picture Leonardo DiCaprio running through the streets of Southampton towards the great Titanic. Lame, I know.... but just little bits of history like this, I find exciting!













♡ - Kristen

1 comment: