Cycling in the Big Smoke

About three months ago, London began a new self-service cycle rental with about 400 docking stations around town. Basically, you're able to pick up a bike from one station and then leave it at another near your final destination. This was a move by the city to lessen the congestion of drivers and amount of people using the tube during rush hours.

London, unsurprisingly, has a huge problem with overcrowded streets. In 2003, the city even instated a £8 congestion charge per car driving in specific Congestion Charge Zones, which I personally think is ridiculous. Like people really want to be there, let alone literally pay for, sitting in traffic. (I'm from LA, I KNOW what traffic is!)

The bikes, then, do seem like a nice alternative. Get some fresh air, get a little exercise, skip the traffic and packed-in tube trains, and you even get the first hour on the rental free. BUT, do you really want to put yourself in harms way on the busy crazy streets?

^^^These are the bike docking stations I was talking about. No, I didn't rent one. I don't want to die!^^^Me and Claire. Ashley and I stayed with her and Ashley's brother Darryl in London. (Thank you, guys!) See how Claire looks kind of beat up? Well, the first day of our visit, Claire had a horrible bike accident on a ride to the gym. She flew over her handle bars and face-planted on the pavement; had to go to the hospital and everything. Poor thing!^^^This is one of Ashley's BMX pics in London. He's had his fair share of riding around there and agrees that it is very dodgy for riders. In fact, I'm not allowed to ride my bike around London. (Like I really wanted to anyway.)

♡- Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment