DIY Electric Meter

One really great thing about my current living situation is that I'm basically living a paperless, untraceable life. I hate putting my name on accounts. People generally don't give a shit about paying them if their asses aren't on the line. But here, there's no monthly bills or contracts I'm connected to (although I do contribute to them). And being anonymous makes me feel liberated and free in a weird sort of homeless way.

My boyfriend and roommates, fortunately, have one less bill that I thought they'd be tied down to, and that's the electric bill, because there's a handy pay-as-you-go electric meter in our flat instead.

Basically, the electric meter runs on money that is deposited on to an electronic key, like a USB drive. Whenever the money is used up, the electricity goes out, and we have to go to an offie and put more money on the key. Usually, we pitch in five pounds each and that gives us electric for a couple of weeks.

This is genius! It completely removes the chance for late fees, or any chance of screwing up your credit. And it eases the burden of paper bills each month. Plus, I had to recharge it for the first time the other day when I was home alone and I found it exciting to take it to the offie. (But I'm a weirdo and probably the only human who finds this exciting.)

Are these in the USA too??!
♡- Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment