Underground Inspirations


Since my trip to London, I've become increasingly intrigued by the Underground. I've never used any other subway before (well, possibly in New York, sometime in the early 1990s on family vacay, but I can't remember) so it always leaves an impression on me.

This time I noticed a collection of poems in several train carriages simply known as Poems on the Underground. Once I spotted one, I began looking forward to randomly encountering another. I've come to find out that each season six poems are selected to be displayed and that this system has been going since 1986.

The poems selected mimic the tube itself, for they, like the Underground, take you into the city, or out to the country, or wherever you will.

^^^Sweet Thames Flow Softly by Ewan MacColl, is a poem I remember in particular.
^^^There is also Art on the Underground, which is a visual art showcase.
^^^ I caught wind of the freaky flick Creep, which takes place in the London Underground, and watched it the other night. It's about a woman who gets locked inside a tube station, only to discover a murdering mutant who captures its victims for torture. It kinda sucked tho, but if you're into bad horror movies you should check it out.

♡- Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment