Rent-a-cops in England


"Freeze motherfucker" - I don't really know why, I blame it on bad tv and action movies, but this phrase seems to embody what an American cop is to me. A trigger-happy hard ass who intimidates by yelling. English constables, on the other hand, seem like a much more mellow police force, with their round hats and bright yellow rain slicks.

The English police, also commonly referred to as Bobbies, are rarely armed. Instead of handguns, which American police officers carry both on and off duty, the vast majority of Bobbies are armed with only a baton and CS/PAVA spray.

Surprisingly enough, most of the police I frequently see, are not official police at all but rather volunteers in uniform. These good Samaritans are referred to as special constables or community support officers. I like to call them rent-a-cops.

Unlike an official police constable, these rent-a-cops only have powers when on duty and in uniform, and within the area policed by their respective force. Day to day duties usually include high visibility patrolling, tackling anti-social behavior, dealing with minor offenses, gathering criminal intelligence and supporting front-line policing.

Although I jokingly refer to these volunteer police as rent-a-cops, I assure you, I have immense respect for anyone looking after the well-being of others.


♡ - Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment